Balance Educational Handouts:
Reliable resources, articles, books and associations are listed as a reference promoting exercise and balance.
Falls prevention for the older adult
- Prevent Falls and Fractures | National Institute on Aging (nih.gov)
- STEADI - Older Adult Fall Prevention | CDC
- Stay On Your Feet®
- Resources Archive - Falls Prevention Online Workshops
Check your risk for falling
Home Safety Tips
- Fall-Proofing Your Home | National Institute on Aging (nih.gov)
- Homemods.org/NRCSHHM - USC Home Modification
- Westmead Home Safety Assessment
Balance, Dizziness and Vertigo
- Dizziness | Enhanced Clinical Insight
- Vestibular First - Affordable infrared video goggles (VOG/Video Frenzels) for researching the diagnosis and treatment of balance-related disorders
- Urban Poling | Leading source for Nordic Walking equipment and information
- Resources - America Walks
- Walking | Physical Activity | CDC
National and Local Organizations:
- American Physical Therapy Association (http://www.apta.org/)
- Free one-stop referral resource for aging-related services in each community eldercare.gov
- Vestibular Disorders Association https://vestibular.org/
- American Parkinson’s Association: https://www.apdaparkinson.org/
- National Parkinson’s Association: http://www.parkinson.org/
- International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society (https://www.movementdisorders.org)
- Parkinson’s Association of the Rockies (https://www.parkinsonrockies.org/)
- Davis Phinney Foundation (davisphinneyfoundation.org)
- Michael J Fox Foundation https://www.michaeljfox.org
- Brain Injury Association http://www.biausa.org/
- American Stroke Association http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/
- Rocky Mountain Stroke Association ( https://www.strokecolorado.org/)
- Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (https://mymsaa.org/)
- National MS Society http://www.nationalmssociety.org/
- Amputee Coalition of America Amputee Coalition of America
- Limb Preservation Foundation http://limbpreservation.org/
Below are some of our favorite research articles that relate to our current assessment and treatment philosophy regarding multisensory feedback and Balance Matters.
The full article: ‘Use of real-time multimodal sensory feedback home program improved backward stride and retention for people with Parkinson Disease: A Pilot Study’ recently published in the Clinical Parkinsonism & Related Disorders journal is available to download here.
Avanzino L, Pelosin E, Vicario CM, Lagravinese G, Abbruzzese G, Martino D. Time Processing and Motor Control in Movement Disorders. Front Hum Neurosci. 2016;10:631. Published 2016 Dec 12. doi:10.3389/fnhum.2016.00631
Baram Y, Aharon-Peretz J, Badarny S, Susel Z, Schlesinger I. Closed-loop auditory feedback for the improvement of gait in patients with Parkinson's disease. J Neurol Sci. 2016 Apr 15;363:104-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2016.02.021. Epub 2016 Feb 10.
Cha, Yong-Jun & Kim, Jung-Doo & Choi, Yu-Ran & Kim, Nan-Hyang & Son, Sung Min. (2018). Effects of gait training with auditory feedback on walking and balancing ability in adults after hemiplegic stroke: A preliminary, randomized, controlled study. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research. 41. 1. 10.1097/
Ghai S. Effects of Real-Time (Sonification) and Rhythmic Auditory Stimuli on Recovering Arm Function Post Stroke: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Front Neurol. 2018;9:488. Published 2018 Jul 13. doi:10.3389/fneur.2018.00488
Molier, B., Van Asseldonk, E., Hermens, H., & Jannink, M. (2010). Nature, timing, frequency and type of augmented feedback; does it influence motor relearning of the hemiparetic arm after stroke? A systematic review. Disability and Rehabilitation, 32(22), 1799–1809.
Park JH, Chung Y. The effects of providing visual feedback and auditory stimulation using a robotic device on balance and gait abilities in persons with stroke: a pilot study. Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Science. 2016;5(3):125-131. doi:10.14474/ptrs.2016.5.3.125
Pitale JT, Bolte JH. A heel-strike real-time auditory feedback device to promote motor learning in children who have cerebral palsy: a pilot study to test device accuracy and feasibility to use a music and dance-based learning paradigm. Pilot and Feasibility Studies. 2018;4:42
Posada-Gómez R1, Montaño-Murillo RA, Martínez-Sibaja A, Alor-Hernández G, Aguilar-Lasserre AA, Reyes-Fernández MC. An Interactive System for Fine Motor Rehabilitation. Rehabil Nurs. 2018 Mar/Apr;43(2):116-124Ranganathan, R., & Newell, K. M. (2009). Influence of augmented feedback on coordination strategies. Journal of Motor Behavior, 41(4), 317–330
Ronsse, R., Puttemans, V., Coxon, J. P., Goble, D. J., Wagemans, J., Wenderoth, N., & Swinnen, S. P. (2011b). Motor learning with augmented feedback: Modality-dependent behavioral and neural consequences. Cerebral Cortex, 21(6), 1283–1294.
Schaffert N, Janzen TB, Mattes K, Thaut MH. A Review on the Relationship Between Sound and Movement in Sports and Rehabilitation. Front Psychol. 2019;10:244. Published 2019 Feb 12. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00244
Snodgrass, S. J., Rivett, D. A., Robertson, V. J., & Stojanovski, E. (2010). Real-time feedback improves accuracy of manually applied forces during cervical spine mobilisation. Manual Therapy, 15, 19–25.
Tzetzis, G., Votsis, E., & Kourtessis, T. (2008). The effect of different corrective feedback methods on the outcome and self confidence of young athletes. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 7, 371–378.