“Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders.”
– Henry David Thoreu
Just as we plant seeds in the springtime, we can “plant seeds” for new ideas, possibilities and growth. Flowers bud, open up and grow upward, caterpillars come out of their cocoons and spread their wings as butterflies.
There are various types of flowers and trees that start from a seed, we too can have different seeds, goals that we are working to achieve.
If you plant it, then prepare and visualize to expect great wonders and growth. Start with a positive mindset, confidence and visualize this beautiful transformation.
It takes time and care for new things to grow.
Just like a seed needs water, air and sunshine to grow,
good balance needs a combination of:
- Water: (self-efficacy and confidence)
- Air: (exercise in a specific direction and speed: stretching, strengthening, balance and aerobic)
- Sunshine: (feedback, positive reinforcement and support) to grow.
This activity below was introduced to me by my children from their yoga class as we were stretching together yesterday! We did a variation in my group exercise class this morning that incorporated stretching, strengthening, and balancing to rise from the ground in standing. If the seed, you plant is to improve your ability to get up from the ground this may be a great exercise. It can also be modified in sitting to standing and then progressed to the ground. (Please reach out to a health care provider who can help you for safety and customize a program for you.)
More activities like this will be incorporated in the intergenerational program I am developing that combines fun physical activities with goal setting.
SEED GROWING TO A FLOWER OR TREE ACTIVITY
One person is the seed growing into a tree or a flower.
Another person is providing the seed the water, air, and sunshine it needs to grow.
Seed growing to a tree or flower
- Start off in seed, or child’s pose, sitting on your knees, folding over from the hips and resting your forehead on the mat or the earth. Spread your fingers and pretend they are the roots going deep down into the ground. Take deep breaths and try to imagine what it would feel like to be a tiny seed –waiting to grow.
- From seed pose, slowly take a deep breath in and begin floating your arms up over your body. Then look up and stretch toward the sky to become a seedling. Close your eyes and feel the sun helping you to grow tall. Feel the wind swaying you from side to side, forward and back.
- Take a few deep breaths and grow taller towards the sun into a ½ kneeling position and then all the way up to standing. Stand tall with your feet slightly apart. Ground down through your feet so you feel rooted to the ground.
- Now slowly lift your right foot off the floor. Start by balancing with your right toes still touching the ground, and work towards bringing your foot as high as you can. Reach your arms up to the sky growing your “branches” or “petals” towards the sun.
- If you are with a group visualize becoming a forest of trees or field of flowers.
- Pretend to be the water nourishing the seed.
Place one hand on your hips and the other behind your head and feet apart. Tip your watering can to the left and right to water your seed. Slowly try to tip further to get more water out of your can.
- Pretend to be the sun spreading the sunshine to your seed.
Walk around your seed spreading your arms up and around like a big circle of sunshine and energy. Feel the warmth spreading around.
- Pretend to be the air. Sway your arms left to right and up high and down low bringing air all around your seed.
Be the first to comment